2012/01/02

Why?

I resolve to…
Read lots of books.

Why?
Because I love reading and why would I withhold something that I love from myself? Because I'm thankful for the gift of literacy. Because I want to be really smart one day. Because I love stories. Because I love wordplay.

.
.
.

I resolve to…
Write one piece that I am proud of.

Why?
Because even though I secretly dream of writing something amazing one day, I know that good writing does not happen over night. Because I know that writing is a skill that must be sharpened and it's a skill that I'm willing to work on.  Because I'm afraid of leaving this world wordlessly, as though I never existed. Because I spend a lot of time putting thoughts together -- my thoughts, other people's thoughts -- and I'm afraid of those strings of thoughts dying and being lost forever.

.
.
.

I resolve to…
Hike at least once every two weeks.

Why?
Because I'm still not sure what pulled me here to this place and I don't want my being here to go to waste. Because these hikes give me a sense of purpose and belonging.

.
.
.

I resolve to…
Learn how to cook.

Why?
Because it's one of the few ways that I'll feel independent and like I'm contributing to my parents now that I've moved in. Because I want to leave here feeling more independent than when I arrived. Because I love my mommy. Because I love my mommy's cooking.

.
.
.

I resolve to…
Use Facebook less.

Why?
Because it's not serving me in being a better person. Because it gives me temporary, empty validation and long-lasting, poisonous envy. Because I live in a place where "living" takes place outdoors, not indoors. Surfing waves, not the Net. Hah. Ha ha. Never mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment