2009/12/04

nerd

So, I realize now that I usually end up in this little portal when I feel all chatty in my head but I'm sitting all by myself. Then I usually end up titling a blog post of that occasion as "random" because I conclude and then I realize that I have no idea what I was talking about.

Yup.

= = =

Remember back in the day, chatting with hecka ppl in all these diff windows and occasionally typing the wrong sentence into the wrong conversation box? Man, that was awkward. I bet no one has it worse than me -- I meant to tell my friend that I was mad crashing on a boy, and then I accidentally sent it to that boy.
= = =

The topic of nerdiness/nerdom/nerdophilia is stuck in my head for some reason. You know, like the way that a song can get stuck in your head sometimes? Well, anyway. This is the first image that Google gave me when I google-imaged "nerd":


And this is what Wikipedia has to say about the word "nerd":

"...a nerd is often excluded from physical activity and considered a loner by peers, or will tend to associate with like-minded people.

The first documented appearance of the word "nerd" is as the name of a creature in Dr. Seuss's book If I Ran the Zoo (1950), in which the narrator Gerald McGrew claims that he would collect "a Nerkle, a Nerd, and a Seersucker too" for his imaginary zoo.[1][2] The slang meaning of the term dates back to 1951, when Newsweek magazine reported on its popular use as a synonym for "drip;" or "square" in Detroit, Michigan.[3] By the early 1960s, usage of the term had spread throughout the United States and even as far as Scotland.[4][5] At some point, the word took on connotations of bookishness and social ineptitude.[1]

An alternate spelling, as nurd, also began to appear in the mid-1960s or early '70s.[6] Author Philip K. Dick claimed to have coined this spelling in 1973, but its first recorded use appeared in a 1965 student publication at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute.[7][8] Oral tradition there holds that the word is derived from "knurd" ("drunk" spelled backwards), which was used to describe people who studied rather than partied...

...Stereotypical nerd qualities have evolved in recent years, from awkwardness and social ostracism to a more widespread acceptance and sometimes even celebration of their abilities."

LOL. Nerds are "evolving" and are praised for their "abilities". Heroes!

= = =

I'm at work right now at one of the desks, and I just had to radio in for a potty break. I was tempted to ask, "5* to 5-, can you please send someone to relieve me so that I may relieve myself?" ... Teehee.

And then apparently a door alarm went off "somewhere" in the Main Stacks, and they sent me to go find it and turn it off. Dang, man. Do you have any idea how big the Main Stacks is? Let me tell you, it's big. After circulating the entire area, I radioed in that I couldn't find it so I came back and was told that it was taken care of a while ago. Woo.

= = =

That's all for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment